An internet survey conducted by the biggest sports dailies in Italy and Spain have placed Alessandro Del Piero and Lionel Messi as the two best performers so far in this season’s Champions League.
Italy’s La Gazetta dello Sport and Spain’s Marca conducted a joint survey on their respective website, asking readers and fans to vote for their best player in the Champions League so far after five rounds of the group phase.
There was no doubting the result as Juventus captain Alessandro Del Piero easily topped the polls, with Barcelona’s young sensation, Lionel Messi in second place, but quite some way behind.
Del Piero amassed close to 200, 000 votes, a full 100, 000 ahead of the Argentine wunderkind, with Sergio Agüero, Ruud van Nistelrooy and Joseba Llorente rounding up the top five.
The highest ranked English player was Liverpool’s Steven Gerrard, who came in at sixth spot. It is worth remembering that the on-going survey is organized by the sports journal in Italy and Spain and is in no way affiliated with any official UEFA rankings.
La Gazetta And Marca Internet Poll Results
1. Alessandro Del Piero (Juventus) – 196, 133 votes
2. Lionel Messi (Barcelona) – 93, 927
3. Sergio Agüero (Atlético Madrid) – 50, 549
4. Ruud van Nistelrooy (Real Madrid – 38, 631
5. Joseba Llorente (Villarreal) – 31, 650
6. Steven Gerrard (Liverpool) – 28, 502
7. Bojan Krkic (Barcelona) – 28, 493
8. Fernando Gago (Real Madrid) – 24, 947
9. Karim Benzema (Olympique Lyonnais) – 22, 296
10. Zlatan Ibrahimovic (Inter Milan) – 17, 495